Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Can you name a female pilot other than Amelia?

This past weekend, I had a family reunion. On one of the rare, quiet mornings, a family member and I were enjoying some time reading on the deck in the sun. We exchanged book titles and I explained that I was finally getting to a book I had wanted to read for quite some time, Three-Eight Charlie about the first woman to fly solo around the world: Jerrie Mock. 

"Amelia Earhart didn't do that? That's the only female pilot I know of," he responded.

I chuckled, used to people only knowing about Amelia Earhart, a woman pilot who had achieved many great things, but so often spreads a shadow over her amazing female pilot counterparts. I politely explained Amelia's accomplishments compared to Jerrie's then continued on with my reading. Later, however, it got me thinking how I can't stand it bothers me when people call me "Amelia" or how often remarkable women of aviation's past are forgotten in exchanged for the mystery of the missing Amelia.

I would like to challenge my readers to comment below and share: 

1. a present female pilot they admire
2. a past female pilot who would make a good role model for future women pilots
3. if you are a female pilot, tell us a bit more about your aviation journey
4. Share this post to keep the comments growing

With just a moment of your time by posting a comment below, maybe we can open the world's eyes to a few more women pilots! 

15 comments:

  1. #RESPECT https://www.facebook.com/nbcphiladelphia/videos/10153448135802232/?pnref=story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearl Scott the Chicksaw daredevil pilot who wen flew with Will Rogers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Griffith my daughter at age 21 a gold seal instructor a well as Mary Latimer a DPE and my mother making us a 3 generation female flight instructors

    ReplyDelete
  4. My journey was growing up in an aviation family which in turn so was my own children. Also Mother and I are mother daughter Inspection Authorization and A&P's. We have all faced our own issues as females in the industry, but it has not deterred us ad now we have started Gift Academy Inc to help other women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can name many and several work for me to.
    But of the famous ones Patty Wagstaff is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica Cox. Look her up. Amazing aviator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie Cochran... Pioneer military woman aviator, test pilot and racer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://youtu.be/VMaJGxFtAcU

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. www.facebook.com/TypewritertoStikefighters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please visit: www.facebook.com/TypewritertoStikefighters

    The National Naval Aviation Museum has an exhibit "Typewriters to Strike Fighters" which shares the stories of women in Naval Aviation....hangar bay 1 at the museum, here is our Facebook site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Queen Bess" of course- one of the early Barnstormers. Bessie Coleman first African American woman to get a pilot's license. US flying schools denied her entry so she learned French, moved to France and got her pilot's license there. Returned to the US and was a stunt pilot in the barnstorming shows.

    And Pancho Barnes- Speed Queen

    The birth of aviation had lots of daring, pioneering women. Seems only after WWII that we suffered collective amnesia and had to fight our way back into the cockpit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harriet Quimby, born in Michigan (yay!), was the first woman in the United States to become a licensed pilot and was the first woman to fly across the English Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone already named Patty Wagstaff. Who has not learned something from Martha King, even if her jokes are corny there is no doubt she is very accomplished and offers much to emulate for any pilot. Bessie Coleman. For our whirly birds, we have Tammy Duckworth (combat vet, now a congresswoman from IL... Don't like her politics, but her service is to be commended for sure).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Helen Richey https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Richey

    ReplyDelete

What are you pondering?