What Makes a Good Student?
The whole gang is back including Sean!
- Sun n' Fun is almost here April 21-26. Carl and Eric will both be here (despite what Carl thinks on the show!). In fact the next show will be LIVE from Sun n' Fun at liveatc.net/snf.
- Tonight we are working on clearing out the backlog of listener email going back to the middle of 2014. You can continue to send us questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Going forward we will be answering them on a regular basis.
- Eric and Victoria recently updated their meet the hosts bios.
- Sean recently got current in a DA-20.
- Sean also said the B-29 "Fifi" will be flying all over the country this summer. Check out the Commemorative Air Force Website for dates.
- Know Your Why
- Commit to a consistent training schedule
- Commit to a consistent study schedule
- "Chair Fly"
- Ask Questions
- Be prepared
- Take your training and have a healthy respect for the training environment
- Be open to learning and input
- Have fun while learning
- Join a flight club and share aviation
- Check on your recreational mindset
- Be open to feedback
- Apply the naked butt theory to training
- Set and know your training milestones
- Ask for homework
- Realize ground briefing time is important
- Know what’s next in your training and prep for it
- Pick a professional CFI
- Schedule time every week to fly AND to study
- Fly no less than twice a week
- Set training milestones and hold yourself to them
- Simulation!! Logable or not
- Communicate and expect communication in return
- Flight training is not an on/off activity – must prep before and review after
Eric: Waze, a crowd sourcing traffic app to help you be on time, including for getting to the airport!
Rick: Air Wings, an aviation game based on point of view flight of a paper airplane
Victoria: The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin historical fiction about the wife of Charles Lindbergh
Sean: Ageless Aviation Dreams, a non-profit honoring US Military veterans by giving flights in a Steerman
Carl: Colorado Pilots Association, which has tons of information on mountain flying, backcountry flying, etc.
After Landing Checklist:
Check out our new Pick of the Week Page
To find all the ways to contact us check out our Contacts Page