Sunday, July 6, 2014

Getting Current & Confident


As you can probably tell from the lack of the usual activity in my blog, I have not been flying much lately, and in turn, lost my passenger currency. For those of you that know me well, I am constantly on the go throwing myself in one project or another with little rest in sight. It finally caught up with me and I had to reevaluate what activities I would continue to devote my time to and which would go. After much reflection, while many volunteer aviation activities would be put on the side burner, flying itself would never be on the cut list.


So after that decision was made, what was a girl to do? Get back in the left seat, of course! 

Bob joined me to help with moving the plane in and out (and pay for the gas muah hahaha!). For such a clear and sunny day it was amazing more people were not out and about at the airport. I didn't mind though, as it would be calm and not rushed as I got back into the flow again. 

I could tell I was rusty. I had been in planes and around aircraft for the past few months, but other people were always in charge of checking the instruments and knobs. After missing a few things I decided to take it slow and use the checklist, it was there to help me. Soon, I was taxiing and running up like it was no big deal.

And it wasn't a big deal! Slowly things, came back. Why am I not staying on centerline? Duh, correct for the wind! That landing was nice, but not soft enough! Ok, hold the nose of the ground a little longer. I landed, I corrected and I then I nailed it. A few laps around the pattern and I was passenger current and confident in my abilities again. 

                                "When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. 
                                    And when you have fun, you can do amazing things."
                                                                                              Joe Namath.
I think for many pilots who haven't flown in a while, being away from it gets "easier". Yes, there's always that missing feeling, that ache for the sky. But, it gets easier to just not fly versus flying and face all those bumpy landings until the rust is (sometimes literally) knocked off. But the more you decide yes, and learn that the knocking off the rust is just part of the process, it becomes easier.

I know this to be true, because it's about the tenth time it has happened to me. I've had to say 'no' to many things lately, but despite the cutbacks, I'll keep saying 'yes' to the sky.

2 comments:

  1. I'm weird - after an extended break (which, to be fair, has never been for more than 3-4 months) it always seems like I'm sharper in the cockpit. There's certainly rust to knock off but the hyper-awareness caused by knowing I'm not that current seems to help.

    Nothing like hopping back into the left (or back, for us Cub pilots) seat after a long break though, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not too weird, Steve-it makes a lot of sense! When flying often it's easy to get complacent, so when it's been awhile the "anything could happen" comes back at ya.

      Delete

What are you pondering?