Monday, February 10, 2014

A Few Quick Aviation Book Reviews

Reading is like therapy to me and I've been forcing myself to ensure I take some time each day to do so. I have been quickly devouring book after book since this resolution. A few of which have an aviation theme that I will share with you today.

Fear of Landing: You Fly Like a Woman by Silvia Spruck Wrigley
Fear of Landing is a Kindle Single about a girl learning to fly with a group of guys within a timeline of a few weeks. I like longer books, ones that you get attached to the characters over the course of the story. Kindle singles and short stories just don't do it to me because they don't provide the time to earn that attachment. However, I love how the author illustrated what an individual (especially a woman) can face when taking on the task of becoming a pilot. As a pilot myself, it was easy to relate to. Sylvia tells the story of becoming a licensed pilot as she faced the odds and an instructor who said she would never make it.

Saving Mars by Cidney Swanson
I am currently in the final book of this young adult five book sci-fi series. It is an easy read and equally as easy to get in to. In a time where the people of Mars are barely scraping a living and no longer in contact with the drastically different lifestyle on Earth, Jessamyn Jaarda is a redheaded spunky pilot (you can see why I can relate) yearning to prove herself. The female pilot main character shows both bravery and fear when facing hard decisions in life. It is a coming of age story, a tale of two planets, with a little bit of love and politics thrown in as well. Truthfully, I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I am. Books 1-3 can be bought as a Kindle set for only $3.99 at the moment.
Update: I finished the 5th book only to find out that there is a 6th coming this spring!

The Destiny Project by James Wharton
While I can't say this was a big page turner for me, I still enjoyed this book that combined time travel with heroic female pilots. The Destiny Project follows the story of two women captured by a mysterious government agency who fakes their deaths and then trains them to fly aircraft in World War II and carry out highly dangerous secret missions. Throughout their daring flights, the women decide that they want to control their own destiny. At the end of the book it said to be on the lookout for book two towards the end of 2013. I was bummed when I discovered it was not available yet! Currently the Destiny Project is only .99 on Amazon, so get it while it's cheap!

Flight to Safety by Karlene Pettit
Ok, I can't review this one yet as it just came out and I purchased it this weekend. Once I'm finished with the final Saving Mars chapter, Flight to Safety is my immediate pick. I really enjoyed Karlene's debut, Flight for Control (and not just because I know her!) and  am really looking forward to seeing how Karlene tops that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you pondering?