Friday, June 28, 2013

Remembering Jane Wicker

The other day, while reminiscing, I came across this message from Jane I had previously posted on my blog. I thought I would share it again as it really shows what a genuine woman she was. Always surprisingly down to Earth and so eager to share her passion with others. Also, this video has been passed around a lot of Facebook, I thought I would post it here in case anyone had missed it. Such a refresher from the videos of the crash that I cannot bear to watch. Let's remember these remarkable pilots for doing what they loved!



As I kick off my 2012 airshow season, my first stop will be “Women Fly it Forward 2012” in Frederick, MD.  I’m very excited about this event.  I was there last year and simply amazed at the turnout.  It was such a success that I was not surprised when Frederick was named the most female friendly airport.  This is all thanks to the hard work and dedication of Victoria Neuville.  She is responsible for this great event and at the helm once again.  I have no doubts that this year will be even bigger and better.  

I am looking forward to meeting everyone there and sharing my own passion.  It is one of my greatest pleasures to share this love of aviation and inspire others to become pilots, especially women.  We are every bit, if not more, capable then men to fly.  There is nothing else that can compare to soaring through the sky in a machine that is under your control.  I hope everyone will join us on March 10.  Stop by, say hello and feel free to check out Aurora up close.  It’s one of the few times that others can get a breath away as she’s typically behind the fence line at an airshow.  I will be there to answer any questions that come up about my flying, the airplane, and even the wing walking.  Let’s all make this a record breaking year and start changing the world, one female pilot at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Toria,

    I know you're hurt by this, and you're trying to make us all feel better by saying they were "doing what they loved." I apologize for saying that that really bothers me. Jane and her pilot didn't take off that day thinking, "Oh, well, I'm going to do what I love and if it all goes pear-shaped, it's a good day to die." No, they took off thinking, "We've dotted the i's and crossed the t's and thought of everything. Nothing will go wrong." But...fate is the hunter, right?

    Let me share again a comment I made on Capt. Cockrell's blog when he shared his grief when Keavy Nenninger went West:

    There is no way to make sense of it. No fairness, no justice, no rightness to it. This thing we do just gets closer to the lines drawn by the Fates, than do most other Earthly activities.

    Ernie had it right, about Fate being the hunter. Reach for the stars, go upon laughter-silvered wings, take what is offered, prepare to meet Fate (hey, maybe you can cheat!). Raise a glass, for those Gone West.

    (She) crammed so much life into ... too brief years. We grieve not for them, but for ourselves.

    So long for now, Cap'n,"


    I ask that you find some anger about this, Tori. And let it motivate you to "dot every "i", cross every "t", think of everything!" If you do that, and I do that, and others do that, then maybe Jane's loss won't have gone for nought.

    Stay safe. Please.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete

What are you pondering?