Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome to my *new* blog :)

I previously had two blogs one for my flying and crocheting endeavors and one just for everything else.  A lot has changed since creating those and I thought it was best to start anew.

I am not one who is often proud of myself.  I can be happy for what I  have accomplished of course, but no matter what I always feel that I could have done more, I could have done it more quickly, or I should have pushed myself harder.  Although my journey is not yet over, I am for once proud of myself for getting this far.  My piloting dreams were planted early in life and were secured with my first flight when I was 16.  This dream seemed so far away at the time though and was put on hold until the unknown future.  The dream finally started to come to become a reality six years ago and has seen its share of roadblocks.  2009 proved a difficult challenge when I was stuck in a job I didn't like that provided an income that was barely survivable.  This is when I decided now was the time to throw myself into it 100% and get it all over quickly no matter what it took.  As life often does, once I had settled on a plan it had to throw a curve ball at me, I finally got a new job.  I soon found myself struggling to juggle a full time job, three college courses and flight training all while trying to maintain the wonderful relationships I have with a long distance boyfriend and a plethora of amazing friends.  This week I will have a certificate in aviation management from Schoolcraft College, but most importantly some spare time to breathe.  I am the first to admit that I took on more than I can chew, but it's almost over.  It's amazing the wonderful support I have of people who believe in me and think I can handle it all, they know I can do it and don't doubt it for a second.  If other people have that much faith in me, I know I can have that much faith in myself.

My motto has become to take advantage of all the amazing opportunities that come my way, and I have.  In 2009 I got to help out on an airplane's annual inspection, received a free lesson in a multiengine plane and took my first flight in a hot air balloon (thanks Bob!).  I flew a large triangle trip from Pontiac to an airshow in Wisconsin to visiting my aunt and then my grandmother.  I took spinning classes to learn how to make my own yarn and in the winter I sold many of my crocheted items both at Paris and on my own.  This year I spent February in Egypt and I got a free, fun and educational 2 1/2 hour flight in a Cirrus SR22.  I'm on a back up list for an aerobatic training movie being filmed and in May Bob and I are going to fly a race in his plane.  Most importantly, I received a grant from the government to complete my flight training.

I am usually a planner and love to know where my future is leading me, uncertainty usually makes me nervous.  So I was nervous about flying again. Really nervous. Not so much the flying part but the fact that it could all end once again, whether from my doing or that which was out of my hands. I thought that I could just quit to protect myself from that possible future pain, but I know I would live the rest of my life in regret.  I am so excited to see where my future new home and career leads me.  It will bring me even more opportunities and although I don't know what they are, for once I am not the least bit nervous.

I cannot reiterate how much I have learned and grown as a person from this process.  There was a point where I was confident of my skills as a pilot, and the "simple" procedures became a breeze.  After my long hiatus, though, things simple items aren't as simple anymore.  I recall two flights last year that left me completely frustrated, thinking about the old days.  This further emphasizes to me how important it is for a pilot to keep current.  My skills were deep down there, and I just had to learn how to recreate them once again.  As a matter of fact, one day I believe I will be thankful for this hiatus, after feeling like a new student again just beginning to discover the wonder of flight.  It had been such a long time since I was a nervous student pilot and being in those shoes a second time will give me the ability to relate to my future students.  It all goes back to God's timing.  There's a reason for all of his "delays" in my life; His timing is preparing me to be the best pilot I can be, gaining wisdom through my experiences.

Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives. — Socrates

Socrates had it pegged. It's such a troublesome world and we feel like our problems are so big. Hop in an airplane, though, and soar thousands of feet above the earth. You begin to realize how small your problems are and what a big and intricate world you reside in. Amelia Earhart said, "you haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky." Sometimes it just takes a different perspective, an aerial perspective to put all you in your place. Maybe it isn't just the freedom that attracts people to flight. Maybe it's not the beauty or the adventure. Maybe it's the perspective, one of peace and one of understanding, that causes thousands of humans to defy gravity and flock to the sky.  I can't pin the exact reason I love to fly, I just do.  There has been so many moments that I feel that because of all of the hurdles I have encountered with my flying career that God is telling me to give up and it's not for me.  When I go to an airshow and can't stop smiling out of sheer wonder or get the chance to fly around just for fun, I know that that is sooo not true!

I'm not where I wanted to be.  I haven't accomplished things I've wanted to do.  I have not flown many types of airplanes or been to all places of interest.  I give myself credit, though, because I have tried.  I am slowly checking off life's items on the list.  I'm proud of myself because although I have pondered it, I have never given up.  When I want something I try to get it with all of my being.  I will jump over hurdles and plow through roadblocks.  Sometimes they are very tough roadblocks and instead of a plow it's more like me slowly chiseling  away at it.  However I get there, whether with a chiseling or plowing, I will get there. Yet it will never end, the world always leaves more to experience and keeps adding items to the bottom of my life list.  It's OK, because I will do what I always do; I will throw myself into it with all that I am.  I think that someday when I look back at my life I will view myself as a determined and successful woman.  At least that's the goal.

I like to do devotionals before I go to bed at night and/or before I start the day. Bob gave me the most wonderful gift for Christmas, The Aviators Devotional. The message of the first devotional was like it was written just for me, "Our release from the bonds of earth to experience the expanse of our habitat simply reminds us that we can overcome anything in partnership with the maker of it all."

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I enjoyed reading this. You are a gifted writer besides a gifted pilot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this new blog, love that last quote, and I love you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the bio on Karlene's blog. Good luck, and keep flying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome bio on Karlene's blog. You can follow my aviation blog as well (via my name on this post). I will eventually make posts about my flights and returns to flying. My goal is to get at least my CFI rating next year, if not the CFII as well. Good luck, keep it up, and I'm looking forward to your posts on here as well (and on Twitter as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh... I am amazed......amazed and completely in sync with the powerful force that pulls us aviators to the sky...The sensation that as you last line here shows us how why and where it comes from.....no where else but from God...Reminds me of High Flight.....Happy Birthday......

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing story! I am SO glad that Karlene wrote about you. Remember, there are absolutely NO limits as to what you can eventually accomplish. http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk http://shortfinals.wordpress.com And a Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete

What are you pondering?